Thank you for your interest in becoming a Big Brother, Big Sister, or Big Couple- we're excited to work with you!
Being a volunteer mentor is about starting a consistent friendship and empowering children to believe they can achieve what they didn’t think was possible. You can incorporate your Little into your everyday life: play sports together, picnic in the park, take your dog for a hike or go to the beach. Being a Big will be one of the most enjoyable and fulfilling things you do, while also being a force for change in our community!
For a few hours, once a week, or a couple of times a month, you can give a Little the invaluable gift of your friendship. By simply changing their perspective of what the world can offer, you can literally start changing their life. Read our Big Impact match stories of Bigs & Littles for stories of what it means to be a role model.
Think you might be interested in volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters? To help you make your decision, evaluate yourself against the following characteristics of successful mentors.
- I enjoy spending time with children and youth
- I have the desire to build a developmental relationship with a child or youth where I’ll express care, challenge growth, provide support, share power and expand possibilities.
- I have time, and am willing to commit to meeting regularly with my mentee
- I am willing to commit for at least 18 months
- I am a responsible, trustworthy and stable individual
- I am caring and compassionate
- I can be energetic
- I am a good listener
- I respect the values and beliefs of others, even if they are very different from my own
- I am comfortable with the idea of communicating openly with the child’s parent or guardian
- I am comfortable with communicating openly with Big Brothers Big Sisters of the 7 Rivers Region
- I work well in a team
- I have strong interpersonal communication skills
- I have strong problem solving skills
- I am able to set realistic expectations and be prepared for unexpected changes
- I enjoy some or many of the activities that children and youth enjoy
- I take my own safety and the safety of others seriously
- I am comfortable with assuming responsibility for the safety and security of the child or youth during outings
- I am willing to support a child/youth in identifying/planning low to no cost activities for us to do together
Of course, most people will not answer ‘yes’ to all of the characteristics mentioned above. But if you answered ‘no’ to many of them, it may be worth re-considering whether mentoring with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary and Area is something that is for you.
We’re always looking for people eager to positively impact a child and improve their community at the same time. Big Brothers especially are in high demand.
Are you ready to be a Big? Apply today. After you complete the application, a staff member will contact you!