“Spook” Away the Bullies!
In the month of October, Big Brothers Big Sisters acknowledges National Bullying Prevention Month, in efforts to inform about the issue and provide tips to prevent bullying before it begins.
But first, did you know…
• 28% of U.S. students in 6th-12th grade have experiences bullying?
• Approximately 30% of young people admit to bullying others?
• When bystanders intervene, bullying stops within 10 seconds, 57% of the time?
Learn more about the impact of bullying here.
Don’t be a statistic, be the change!
Big or little, anyone can take a step to prevent bullying. Adults can have a role in preventing bullying. To help, they can:
• Model and set an example of how to treat others with kindness and respect.
• Help kids understand bullying. Have a discussion with kids about what bullying is, how to stand up to it safely, and know help to get help.
• Check in with kids often. Listen to them, ask questions, and understand their concerns.
Tips for children and teenagers to prevent bullying in their school:
• Be a friend, make a new friend!
• Tell an adult if you or someone you see are getting bullied.
• Treat others how you want to be treated. Ask yourself, would I want someone to treat me the way I am treating others? If the answer is no, you know changes need to be made.
Wear you orange and join us for Unity Day on October 24th, 2018!
#UnityDay2018 is a movement to stand up together against bullying and UNITE for kindness, inclusion, and acceptance for all!
For more information about National Bullying Prevention Month, check out the Stop Bullying website. Also, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more tips and statistics throughout October! Happy #NationalBullyingPreventionMonth!